Who We Are:
MapLight Therapeutics is a clinical stage biotech company that focuses on drug discovery for central nervous system disorders. We combine cutting-edge technologies including optogenetics, in vivo physiology, and spatial transcriptomics to identify novel drug targets and develop effective therapies to address psychiatric symptoms.
What You’ll Do:
MapLight is looking for a proactive and energetic individual to join the company’s fast-paced and collaborative Finance team. Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Payroll Manager will be responsible for all aspects of payroll operations; ensuring payroll, payroll taxes, audits and reporting are accurate, complete, timely and managed effectively. This individual would be expected to work closely with HR and other Finance team members to trouble shoot any potential issues and be a key point of contact across the organization to service employee payroll issues.
- Responsible for accurate and timely review and processing of semi-monthly multi-state payroll for salaried and hourly employees through ADP
- Play a vital role in designing short-term and long-term strategies to achieve continuous improvement and efficiencies in payroll processing and in optimizing systems.
- Manage payroll processes by coordinating with payroll providers to confirm payroll is processed within all regulatory, labor and tax guidelines.
- Coordinate with internal and external parties to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage and hour laws; own registration process for new state tax compliance.
- Development and monitoring key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure the effectiveness of service delivery, making data-driven decisions to enhance quality and efficiency.
- Maintain and improve payroll systems and processes and timely reporting of any issues to management
- Ensure new hires, terminations, changes to pay rates and special payroll runs are processed accurately and timely.
- Manage year end payroll processes and assist with 401K audit, workers comp audit support, and other compensation-related audits and reporting.
- Support the annual financial audit and tax-related activities, including preparation of audit support, process narrative creation, and coordinate with external auditors.
- Be the first point of contact for any payroll-related queries or questions from employees. Respond and resolve issues in a timely manner
- Design, implement and perform SOX compliant controls relevant to the payroll process to support internal and external audit process
- You can participate and work effectively with multiple cross-functional teams.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and understand relationships are key to being successful.
- You are a leader. Teams love working with you, and you are someone who takes pride in mentoring and supporting the careers of others.
- You’re a team player who is willing to roll-up your sleeves and get the job done.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, human resources or related field preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of payroll processing experience
- Experience scaling payroll systems and procedures for a fast-growing organization
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, stock transactions and payroll taxes.
- Attention to detail, professional awareness, and sense of urgency for employee questions
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office.
- Excellent communicator and collaborator.
- Hybrid role in the Burlington, MA area.
- No travel is required for this position. Opportunity for optional travel for annual company-wide events.
MapLight is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.