Expert behavioral optogenetic scientist to join our Discovery Team to identify dysfunctional circuit mechanisms that underlie specific psychiatric and motor symptoms related to CNS disorders.
At MapLight we combine cutting-edge technologies including optogenetics and STARmap spatial transcriptomics to identify novel drug targets and develop effective therapies to address psychiatric symptoms. We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with expertise in optogenetics and behavioral neuroscience who will become a key contributor to our discovery team. The position requires rodent stereotaxic surgery, drug administration and behavioral characterization as well as excellent communication and organizational skills in order to effectively drive a significant and complex workload. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a small team and translate knowledge about brain circuitry into transformative therapies.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In vivo circuit modulation and behavioral study using optogenetics
- Working familiarity with automated video tracking systems
- Drug administration (rodent IP, SC, PO)
- Stereotaxic surgery for virus injection/cannula implantation
- Immunohistochemistry and confocal imaging
- Data analysis and interpretation
- PhD Scientist from an accredited university in a discipline related to neuroscience with significant industry and/or academic lab experience
- Exceptional RAs or SRAs with a Bachelor’s degree in a neuroscience-related field with significant industry and/or academic lab experience will also be considered
- Ability to design and carry out experiments with limited supervision
- In-depth experience with optogenetics and stereotaxic surgery is highly desired
- Expertise in brain mapping using retrograde circuit tracing a strong advantage
- Organized and detailed-oriented with ability to communicate results effectively
- Must work cooperatively in a goal-oriented team environment
- Strong communication (oral and written) skills that enable the individual to interact with all levels of management, technical and scientific personnel
- Passion to contribute to the success of a cutting-edge company
MapLight is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.